Workers' Compensation Exemption Renewal

Who Can File Here

  • Construction services providers who have an active Workers’ Compensation Exemption Registration that expires within 60 days.
  • Both initial and subsequent registrations can be renewed here although the initial registration must be renewed first.
  • The renewal must be associated with the same business entity as your existing exemption registration; if not, you need to submit a new exemption registration application form.

How You Can File Here

  • E-File an Exemption Renewal and pay fees (includes service fee) online.
  • Print and Mail an Exemption Renewal that is prepared online. Information will be collected through the online tool, and then printed on the correct form to be mailed to the Secretary of State with payment. This option assists with the preparation of the document, but does not require online payment and is not charged a service fee.
  • Pursuant to T.C.A. §47-29-102 a handling charge of $30.00 or the written amount of the item, whichever is less, will be charged on returned paper checks and electronic checks.

Have Questions?

  • For assistance with your exemption renewal, or if you do not want to submit online, please contact Business Services at (615) 741-2286 or
  • For assistance with a certificate of good standing with the Department of Revenue, please contact the Department of Revenue at 615-253-0700.
  • For assistance with Workers' Compensation Insurance issues, please contact the Department of Labor & Workforce Development at: 615-532-1310 or email
  • For assistance with state licensing issues, please contact the State Board for Licensing Contractors at 800-544-7693 or 615-741-8307, email, or visit the website at

Renewal Requirements

  • The Registration Control Number of the Exemption Registration you want to renew.
  • If renewing a subsequent registration, your initial registration must be renewed first. If you do not plan on renewing your initial registration you will need to re-register each of your other Workers' Compensation Exemptions.
  • Your name, birth date and last 4 digits of your Social Security Number. This information is required to securely identify the Workers' Compensation Exemption Registration to renew.
  • If you have an active license issued by the State Board for Licensing Contractors, you need the license number and expiration date.
  • You need your local business license information (County license and City license). This includes the license number and expiration date.
  • To e-file, you need a credit or check card (an additional service fee may be charged for these online payment transactions ).
  • You may choose to print and mail the exemption renewal form with a check (no service fee).
Start Now

What You'll Need to Submit a Renewal

  • Registration Control Number
  • Identifying info (Name, Birth Date, Last 4 digits of SSN)
  • State Contractor's License Information
  • Business License Information
  • Credit or Debit card (Additional fees may include a service fee)