Subsequent Workers' Compensation Exemption Registration

Who Can File Here

  • Construction services providers who meet the business ownership requirements can file a Subsequent Workers' Compensation Exemption Registration (see complete instructions here)
  • Filing a 'Subsequent' registration is available to individuals who have already registered with at least one business entity who want to file another exemption registration associated with a different business entity.

How You Can File Here

  • E-File a Subsequent Exemption Registration and pay fees (includes service fee) online.
  • Print and Mail a Subsequent Exemption Registration that is prepared online. Information will be collected through the online tool, and then printed on the correct form to be mailed to the Secretary of State with payment. This option assists with the preparation of the document, but does not require online payment and is not charged a service fee.
  • Pursuant to T.C.A. §47-29-102 a handling charge of $30.00 or the written amount of the item, whichever is less, will be charged on returned paper checks and electronic checks.

Have Questions?

  • For assistance with your subsequent exemption registration, or if you do not want to submit online, please contact Business Services at (615) 741-2286 or
  • For assistance with a certificate of good standing with the Department of Revenue, please contact the Department of Revenue at 615-253-0700.
  • For assistance with Workers' Compensation Insurance issues, please contact the Department of Labor & Workforce Development at: 615-532-1310 or email
  • For assistance with state licensing issues, please contact the State Board for Licensing Contractors at 800-544-7693 or 615-741-8307, email, or visit the website at
  • To obtain a 147 (C) FEIN Confirmation letter, call the IRS at 1-800-829-4933.

Registration Requirements

  • The full requirements can be accessed here.
  • The name of the business entity (employer) you are qualifying to file the exemption with. If this business is a Corporation, Limited Liability Company, Limited Partnership, Limited Liability Partnership or General Partnership you will also need the Secretary of State Control Number for that business entity.
  • The business entity's Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN). If you do not have an FEIN, you must obtain one at You must provide proof of your FEIN by attaching a 147 (C) letter from the IRS.
  • If you have an active license issued by the State Board for Licensing Contractors, you need the license number and expiration date.
  • You need your local business license information (County license and City license). This includes the license number and expiration date.
  • To e-file, you need a credit or check card (an additional service fee may be charged for these online payment transactions).
  • You may choose to print and mail the exemption registration application form with a check (no service fee).
Start Now

What You'll Need to Register